Free shipping on domestic orders over £40

£0.00 0

No products in the cart.

Toxic Crystals

Toxic Crystals

Estimated reading time: 5 minutes

For centuries, crystals have been used as a form of alternative medicine to promote healing. Even today, they remain a popular choice for those seeking natural therapy. However, it’s important to note that not all crystals are safe to handle or ingest, and some can be toxic. Here, we will explore a few hazardous crystals used in crystal healing and safety measures to remember if utilising them.

Realgar is extremely toxic

Realgar is an extremely dangerous crystal due to its high levels of arsenic. Arsenic is a toxic element that can be absorbed through the skin or inhaled as dust or fumes. Realgar is a bright red-orange crystal that was historically used as a pigment in traditional Chinese paintings and for medicinal purposes. However, its use in medicine has been largely abandoned due to the high toxicity of arsenic.

Ingesting or inhaling realgar can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, headache, dizziness, confusion, and severe cases, seizures, coma, and death. Long-term exposure to realgar can also increase the risk of developing cancer. It is best to avoid using it altogether due to its high toxicity. If you come across realgar, only handle it with extreme caution and keep it away from children and pets is. If you suspect you may have been exposed to realgar, seek medical attention immediately.

While realgar is one of the most toxic crystals due to its high levels of arsenic, other crystals can also be toxic if ingested or handled improperly. These include:


Cinnabar is a bright red crystal used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine. It is believed to have powerful healing properties and is used to treat various ailments; however, it contains mercury. Mercury is a highly toxic substance that can cause severe health problems, including neurological damage and kidney damage if ingested or inhaled. Therefore, it’s crucial to handle cinnabar with great care and avoid any mercury exposure. In addition to wearing gloves, it’s recommended that any tools or equipment used in working with cinnabar should be thoroughly cleaned to prevent any potential mercury contamination. It’s also important to keep cinnabar away from children and pets, as ingesting even small amounts of mercury can be dangerous.


Galena has been used for thousands of years. However, galena contains lead, which can be toxic if ingested or inhaled, causing serious health problems. Ingesting galena or using it in a way that causes inhalation of lead particles can result in lead poisoning, which can cause symptoms such as stomach pain, headaches, fatigue, and even seizures or coma in severe cases. Therefore, it’s essential to handle galena carefully and take precautions to avoid any potential exposure to lead. If you suspect you have been exposed to lead from galena or any other source, seek medical attention immediately.

Galena is a toxic crystal


Stibnite is a mineral that contains antimony and has been used in various applications, including as a crystal for healing. However, antimony is a toxic substance that can cause serious health problems if ingested or inhaled. Exposure to stibnite can result in symptoms such as skin irritation, respiratory problems, abdominal pain, and even heart and lung damage in severe cases. Therefore, it’s crucial to handle stibnite with caution and avoid ingesting or inhaling any particles. It’s also essential to seek medical attention if you suspect you have been exposed to stibnite and experience any symptoms of antimony poisoning.


Malachite is a beautiful green stone believed to have powerful healing properties, helping with emotional, physical, and spiritual healing. However, malachite is toxic and should never be used in elixirs or ingested in any form due to the presence of copper. Exposure to malachite can result in symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea, and liver damage. It’s also important to note that malachite can be sensitive to heat and acids, which can cause it to release toxic fumes. To safely use malachite, it should be handled with gloves, and the stone should be kept away from children and pets. While malachite has potential therapeutic benefits, taking appropriate precautions to prevent any potential harm from copper toxicity or other risks associated with the stone is essential.


Fluorite is a beautiful crystal that comes in a variety of colours. It is believed to have powerful healing properties and is used to promote mental clarity, concentration, and emotional stability. Despite its potential benefits, fluorite can be toxic if ingested, and long-term exposure to calcium fluoride can lead to skeletal fluorosis, a condition that affects bones and joints. Therefore, it’s crucial to handle fluorite carefully and avoid exposure to calcium fluoride. It’s also important to note that fluorite can be sensitive to sunlight and heat, which can cause it to fade or change colour. To enjoy the benefits of fluorite safely, it’s recommended to handle the crystal with gloves, keep it away from children and pets, and store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.

These are just a few toxic crystals; while some are more toxic than others, it is important to handle all crystals carefully and take appropriate precautions, such as wearing gloves and/or washing your hands thoroughly after handling them. This is because most crystals have inclusions of some sort, which can make them sharp or fragile. In addition, some crystals may contain trace amounts of minerals or elements that can be harmful if ingested or inhaled.

Even if a crystal is not considered toxic, it is still important to handle it carefully to avoid injury or damage to the crystal or you. Some crystals may also be sensitive to heat, light, or water, so storing them properly and avoiding exposing them to these elements is important.

When using crystals for healing, it is also important to choose the right crystal for the specific issue or ailment being treated and use it correctly, such as wearing it as jewellery or placing it on the body in a specific location. Consulting with a qualified crystal healer can help ensure you use crystals safely and effectively for healing.

For help storing your crystals click here and with charging your crystals with intentions, click here. And for information on how to spot a fake crystal, click here. Finally, please remember to tag us at @surrender_to_happiness. We always love to see our readers using and storing their crystals. 

Spread the love